My life goal is to lower the barriers of knowledge through data. I am currently working at Upstage – and lowering the barriers of artificial intelligence by building magical models and beneficial services.
You can often find me on the Web as
- 2020-Present: Co-founder & CSO, Upstage
- 2016-2020: Machine learning engineer, NAVER Corporation
- 2009-2016: M.S., Ph.D., Data Mining Lab, Seoul National University
- 2004-2009: B.S., Industrial Engineering / Economics (minor), Seoul National University
- 2020-12: Upstage has opened a Hong Kong branch and I’m it’s CEO! This is just the beginning of our global expansion. Related articles: etoday, Hankyung. (In Korean)
- 2020-10: I’ve founded an awesome new AI-based startup with great friends – Upstage! Come read our story here: Chosun, Joongang, Donga. (In Korean)
- 2020-06: We had a chat with Kyunghyun Cho at TensorFlow Korea, celebrating 50K members. It’s not everyday you meet your role model…
- 2020-05: Read this blog to see how the machine translation teams at NAVER Papago and NAVER LABS Europe are contributing to research for COVID-19. (Related news articles in Korean)
- 2019-10: We are having the second NLP-OSS workshop, co-located with EMNLP 2020. Consider submitting a paper!
- 2019-06: Here’s an article about me developing Papago’s new honorific translation feature. (In Korean)
- 2019-04: Interested in machine translation for Asian languages? Come see our interview with Slator.
- 2019-01: We had an interview with Data Skeptic regarding KoNLPy! Go have a look.
- 2021: Program committee for EACL, ACL-IJCNLP, NAACL-HLT 2021.
- 2020: Program committee for ACL, EMNLP, AACL-IJCNLP 2020. Co-organizer of 2nd Workshop for Natural Language Processing Open Source Software (NLP-OSS) @EMNLP.
- 2018: Co-organizer of Workshop for Natural Language Processing Open Source Software (NLP-OSS) @ACL.
- 2017-Present: Organizing committee member at TensorFlow Korea
- 2011-2014: Data miner at Team POPONG
- Spring 2015: Data Mining at SeoulTech, Lecturer
- Spring 2015: Business Analytics at SeoulTech, Lecturer
- Fall 2012: Data Mining at SNU, Teaching assistant
- Fall 2012: Engineering Research Practice 1 at SNU, Teaching assistant
More about me
- ESTJ in 2007, INFP in 2018.
- Friends call me a dreamer or romantist to a fault - but I enjoy living my life as such.
- I am a productivity geek, and spend much of my free time automating things.
- I easily get addicted to things, so I don't start things easily.
Things I love
- Riding my bike, swimming, scuba diving, playing the piano and making my own fresh coffee with a siphon.
- Adventures, smiling, learning, and pursuing community action.
- Exploration, as opposed to exploitation. I particularly enjoy exploring the realm of cuisines. I have two particular dishes I do not enjoy -- 홍어, 추어탕 -- but who knows? I may even come to like these in the future.
- Openness, sharing, and cooperation (ex: Everyware)
Things I believe in
- Life is about the journey, not about the destination.
- Languages themselves are not goals but tools of communication.
- Happiness brings smiles, and smiles also bring happiness.
- That there is no wrong and no right, is right.
- The individual is not something complete, perfect or finished, but something moving, changing, and above all initiating instead of final.
- You can make money without doing evil.
- Todo lo que es tiene más razones para ser que para no ser.
- Treat those around you as reasonable people, and when they have different opinions, try to discover what problem they are solving.
- Explicit is better than implicit.
"Bio"s by lengthEnglish:
# 134 chars (Twitter)
data hacker; loves geeks, smiling, learning, community action, 장난꾸러기s, people that see the bright side of things; 사람을 좋아하는 사람을 좋아하는 사람
# 370 chars (lucypark.kr)
My life goal is to lower the barriers of knowledge through data. I am currently working for NAVER Papago – and lowering the barriers of linguistic knowledge by building machine translation models. Current areas of interest include context-aware machine translation, and translation evaluation. You can often find me on the Web as Eunjeong, echojuliett, echojuli&t, e9t.
# 472 chars (NDI talk 2014)
Lucy Park is a data miner, and an advocate of open data, open source and open government. She directs Team POPONG, a South Korea based non-partisan voluntary group which merges and analyzes various government resources, to make the legislative process more accessible and easier to understand. She currently devotes her best efforts in improving Politics in Korea, an award winning National Assembly monitoring service, with the belief that technology can make a change.
# 492 chars (IEEE ToM 2019)
Eunjeong Park recieved the M.S. and Ph.D degrees in Data Mining from Seoul National University in 2011 and 2016, respectively, where she has persued various studies on text mining in the fields of manufacturing, politics, multimedia, and marketing. After her studies, she joined NAVER, the South Korea bsaed search company in 2016. and is currently working on natural language processing. Her reserach interests include multilingual text mining, representation learning and domain adaptation.
# 493 chars (INFORMS 2014)
Eunjeong Park is a data miner and Ph.D. candidate specializing in data research at Seoul National University. She has recieved a B.S. and M.S. from the same university for Industrial Engineering and Data Mining, but is interested myriad domains. Her recent projects range from user log analysis and segmentation, sensor data summarization, to legislative prediction and multimedia content recommendation. Ms. Park describes her lifetime goal is to make the world a better place via technology.
# 648 chars (NLPOSS 2020)Korean:
Lucy is a machine learning engineer at NAVER. She has participated in some open source projects, particularly KoNLPy which is a tool for Korean NLP, and is also interested in open data. She received her Ph.D. in Data Mining from Seoul National University in 2016, where she has pursued various studies on text mining in the fields of manufacturing, political science, and multimedia. After her studies, she joined NAVER, a South Korea based search-engine company, and is currently working on machine translation for Papago. Her research interests include machine translation, multilingual text mining, and evaluation of machine learning algorithms.
# 160 chars (PyConKR 2014, PyConKR 2015)
박은정은 서울대학교에서 데이터마이닝을 전공하고 있으며, 마케팅, 반도체, 영화 등의 영역에서 데이터 분석 프로젝트를 진행했다. 기술을 이용해 지식의 장벽을 낮추는 것에 관심이 있어, 여가 시간에는 팀포퐁에서 "대한민국 정치의 모든 것"을 만들며 입법 정보의 확산에 노력을 기울이고 있다.
# 292 chars (PyConKR 2019)
박은정은 데이터를 통해 지식의 장벽을 낮추고자하는 기계학습 엔지니어다. 파이썬을 이용해서 팀포퐁, KoNLPy 등의 프로젝트를 진행했고, 현재 업무에서도 파이썬을 활발하게 이용하고 있다. 서울대학교에서 제조, 정치학, 멀티미디어 등 다양한 도메인의 텍스트를 다룬 후 2016년, 데이터마이닝으로 박사학위를 받았다. 졸업 직후 네이버에 입사해서, 현재는 기계번역 모델을 개발하며 언어 장벽을 낮추기 위해 노력하고 있다. 기계번역 뿐 아니라 다국어 텍스트 마이닝, 기계학습 알고리즘의 평가 방법론에 대해 관심 가지고 있다.