What is an OS?
- DOS, Windows, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android, ...
- Made by Linus Torvalds
- Inspired by Unix
- Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat Linux, Gentoo, Arch, Suse, Slackware, Mandriva, PintOS, ...
- Free (in some sense)
- Open source
- Supports multiple users
- Has compatibility with Unix-like OSs
.: current directory
..: parent directory
~/: home directory
/: root directory
- Read, Write, eXecute
- Owner, Owner group, Others
- All permissions for everyone
- Bash is a "shell" for the GNU operating system
Then what is a shell?
- A shell is a macro processor that executes commands
Is Bash the only shell available?
- There are many many alternatives, such as
bashis the default shell in GNU systems
Can I use
bash in GNU systems only?
- You can also use bash in Windows and other platforms, using portable versions
Why should I use Bash?
- What is a package?
- What is it to manage a package?
What kind of package managers are there?
- Windows: ???
- Mac: Homebrew
- Ubuntu: apt-get